Dear Councilmember Andrew J. Lewis,
Thanks for being my representative at city hall!
I’ll be following up in the coming months on topics that I’m most interested in:
- Police accountability, especially to BIPOC & immigrant communities
- Residential Green Gentle Infill (rezones, end apartment bans)
- Seattle for a Green New Deal goals
- Studying public golf courses near transit to see how we can better more equitably utilize these spaces
- ORCA for All goals
- MASS Coalition goals
- A study to increase representative public comment at hearings .. how can we use our library system and technology to allow more renters, younger folks and other underrepresented voices to share their thoughts with city hall & media who cover city hall who too often use public testimony as equivalent to who “cares” about an issue or policy
- Progressive revenue advocacy
- How to properly tax our city’s private golf courses
- Anti rent gouging measures, state and local level
- Adequately funding SDCI to speed up building permits & provide more support & education to renters
- Studying how to provide a right to counsel to tenants
- Public / Municipal bank
- Municipal broadband
- Increasing bus-only lanes
- Lower speed limits and make road changes to encourage a people-centered city for all ages and people with disabilities who are traveling by foot or using mobility devices.
- Parking maximums in our downtown core and areas with frequent transit
- Climate impact study on environmental assessment for buildings that is up to date with our city climate goals around reducing single occupancy travel
- Providing adequate temporary but long term safe clean shelter for people without homes
- Stop the sweeps
- Safe consumption sites
- Funding social housing (need federal funds) to build permanent affordable housing
- By-right affordable housing (unable to be blocked or delayed) in areas of high opportunity, including near our large public open spaces.
- A study with the state and federal government about how to do land reconciliation deals (like Vancouver BC) to return lands to indigenous folks as part of our long term surplus and industrial lands planning.
- Increasing by 100 times the funding for equitable community led development, building on the current EDI work
Thanks for listening and I look forward to engaging on these and other issues.